The New York New Jersey Regional Joint Board, Workers United a/w SEIU seeks an experienced organizer who views labor organizing through a social justice lens. S/he must be deeply connected to issues such as workplace fairness, immigration, racial justice, education, and housing rights, for example. As an organizer at the Joint Board, you would be part of a team working with nail salon workers, retail, manufacturing, and garment workers in NY and its surrounding areas. Our current membership consists of workers from nearly every continent who speak many languages but are united through the fight for justice in their workplaces and communities. Our ideal candidate is an experienced, creative, driven, and hard-working organizer who is skilled at and excited by facilitating the empowerment of workers while forming a Union.
• Demonstrated commitment to the labor movement and social justice.
• Minimum of three years’ experience organizing as part of a labor union or community organization.
• Ability to work independently and collectively. • Ability to set reasonable, achievable goals with timelines.
• Ability to carry out work and accomplish tasks within agreed upon timelines.
• Experience with and enthusiasm for working with people from diverse backgrounds
• Strong listening and relational skills.
• Demonstrated ability to reflect on and learn from interpersonal relationships.
• Demonstrated independence of judgment within an organizing context.
• Ability to analyze and articulate an assessment of the Union’s organizing practices within the labor movement and community.
• Ability to communicate effectively with workers verbally and in writing.
• Attention to detail and follow-through.
• Willingness to work on nights and weekends according to the needs of the campaign and within the limits set forth in the staff Union contract.
• Fluency in Spanish or Mandarin, including reading, writing, and speaking is required. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Building relationships of trust with individual workers.
• Identifying, recruiting, and facilitating the development of worker activists to lead and guide union organizing campaigns.
• Facilitating the formation of worker organizing committees that are effective in the overall strategy of union organizing campaigns.
• Conducting worker meetings either one-on-one or in group settings.
• Motivating workers to take action.
• Providing accurate assessments of workers’ commitment to an organizing campaign and their ability to carry out tasks related to the campaign.
• Identifying and building solidarity with community allies.
• Providing input into the development of campaign strategies during all phases of the campaign.
• Probing identified targets.
• Maintaining accurate lists, records, wall charts and updating the database.
• Coordinating workplace actions.
• Working effectively with the organizing team and the Joint Board staff.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position within the bargaining unit. The New York New Jersey Regional Joint Board is a staff Union shop that provides a strong and competitive salary and benefits package. We are especially interested in applications from qualified candidates who are also women, immigrants, gender non-conforming people, and/or people of color. Please email cover letter and resume to LGomez@workersunitednynj.org