Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Director, Community Outreach
Reports to: Associate Executive Director, Operations/COO
The Director, Community Outreach will engage in and help coordinate Union Settlement’s community outreach initiatives, in order to connect underserved East Harlem residents with the services they need. A successful candidate will be passionate about Union Settlement’s mission, enjoy getting out into the community to promote Union Settlement, be organized, creative, a self-starter, and have a flexible and adaptive approach.
- The Director is responsible for communicating and furthering the mission of Union Settlement by connecting community members to the programs, initiatives and activities of Union Settlement, including:
- Reach out to groups of local residents, including tenants’ associations, block associations, PTAs, senior centers and religious congregations to provide information about Union Settlement’s services.
- Connect with local nonprofits and other service providers, to collect information about the services they provide and any eligibility requirements.
- Conduct outreach at public events, such as street fairs, health fairs, youth fairs and public school open houses.
- Meet with individual residents to discuss their needs, and how Union Settlement can assist them and/or help connect them with the services they require.
- Devise strategies to target individuals most in need, including the hard-to-reach populations such as recent immigrants, undocumented residents, individuals who are homeless or in temporary or unstable housing situations, etc.
- Help ensure that Union Settlement’s programs utilize best practices when conducting outreach activities, including serving as a resource and sounding board for programs, providing guidance and feedback, and developing an integrated outreach strategy.
- Create a calendar of outreach dates/times/locations, and ensuring that employees conducting outreach have appropriate materials for distribution to the public.
- Serve as a liaison with government offices and agencies, including local elected officials, Manhattan Community Board 11, public schools, libraries, and federal, state and local government offices.
- Support all Union Settlement program outreach, and general outreach communication efforts.
- Interact with Union Settlement staff and board, interns, volunteers, funders, community organizations, and the public.
- Coordinate external events that help connect community residents to Union Settlement’s services.
- Recruit and train volunteers for community outreach and event support.
- Collaborate with program staff and designers to develop and create outreach materials, flyers, brochures, info handouts etc.
- Promote upcoming programs, events, workshops, internships, fundraising, and initiatives via list-servs, flyers, emails, posters, etc.
- Submit all program events to community calendars and websites.
- Coordinate and staff tabling events.
- Develop system for capturing, tracking and trending outreach requests for the agency.
- Manage outreach email group.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with at least three years of demonstrated outreach and/or marketing experience.
- Proven written and visual communication skills.
- Experience planning and implementing high quality community events.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Self-directed and able to take initiative.
- Ability to handle matters of confidentiality with utmost tact and diplomacy.
- Willingness to travel as necessary to any Union Settlement sites in East Harlem as needed to respond to requests.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) required.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary requirements, and contact information for at least three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Community Outreach in the subject line.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
237 East 104th Street, New York, NY 10029, New York, NY 10029