Equity Advocates in a New York City based nonprofit with a mission focused on addressing the underlying causes of hunger, poverty and healthy food inequity through policy, advocacy and systems change. More About our Organization.
Equity Advocates is looking for an experienced, full-time Community Organizer to lead and coordinate the day to day operations and advocacy efforts of the New York City Food Policy Alliance. In March 2020 Equity Advocates launched a multi-sector group of 40+ food system stakeholders including frontline CBOs in New York City directly impacted by food insecurity, to address an immediate need due to the pandemic. Formerly known as the New York COVID-19 Food Coalition, we collectively advocate for public policies and funding that promote access to healthy and affordable food to both respond to today’s crisis as well as address the ongoing vulnerabilities and injustices of the food system.
This Community Organizer position is a new role, slated to start January 2022, which will lead and oversee the day to day Alliance operations; work with organizational partners to develop and execute collective advocacy goals, campaigns and strategies; as well as expand and support Alliance membership. The Community Organizer will support a variety of grassroots NY City, NY State and Federal advocacy campaigns to increase access to healthy food in low income neighborhoods, urban agriculture and community gardens, nutrition education, safety-net programs and benefits access, funding for BIPOC led food businesses and supply chains. As a key member of a small staff, the ideal candidate would be an energetic organizer with a commitment to social, racial and food justice and flexible and effective in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
Organizing (75% of time)
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the NYC Food Policy Alliance including coordinating and leading biweekly meetings
- Develop and disseminate weekly Alliance emails with relevant food policy updates, funding and grassroots advocacy opportunities to Alliance
- Facilitate discussions with full Alliance membership to identify policy goals and priorities to support advocacy campaigns advance food equity and justice through an inclusive democratic process
- Supporting the Alliance’s Outreach Committee to recruit new members from across the 5 boroughs, diversify membership and support efforts to retain current members
- Support the Alliance’s NYC Food Policy Council (FPC) Committee to research national FPC models and develop a local community engagement process to advance the establishment of a grassroots-driven NYC Food Policy Council
- Support training members on advocacy skills to promote leadership development through campaign activities and to move members into more active leadership within the Alliance
- Identify potential promotional opportunities and activities for the Alliance
- Help support and inform strategies for diversifying the leadership of the Alliance and ensuring it is equitable and inclusive
- Track program activities and outputs according to agreed upon evaluation criteria
Policy Support (15% of time)
- Work with Policy Director to schedule and prepare Alliance members for meetings with new incoming NYC elected officials starting Jan 20222, including Mayor’s staff, City Council, and Borough Presidents to educate them on the Alliance’s key food systems priorities
- Attend elected official meetings as needed as a representative of EA
- Help EA leadership plan and mobilize Alliance members to engage in advocacy opportunities
- Support EA’s policy strategy by helping the Alliance’s Policy Committee’s develop City, State and Federal legislative policy platforms
General EA Support (10% of time)
- Participate in fundraising for the Alliance including supporting grant proposals and reports
- Design community organizing workshop for food justice nonprofits across NYC
- Write and send out EA’s monthly newsletter
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings
- Provide social media support
Desired Qualifications :
- Passion for and commitment to social, economic and racial justice
- At least 2-3 years of experience in community organizing and/or leading advocacy campaigns, preferably in food, social and/or racial justice campaigns
- High school degree or equivalent (preferred)
- Working knowledge of NYC food justice and food systems policy issues and key players (required)
- Familiarity with and comfortability working in impacted communities
- Nonprofit or professional office experience is a plus
- Experience facilitating meetings and/or designing and running trainings and workshops
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Must be able to multitask, problem-solve, and prioritize well
- Basic computer skills (email, Google drive, excel, etc.) and access to the internet
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends, when scheduled
Salary: $50,000- $60,000 per year. Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter stating your interest and general qualifications, resume, as well as a reference to email@example.com with the title “Organizer” in the subject line. Position open until filled. Applications submitted by Dec. 31, 2021 will be prioritized. No phone calls accepted at this time.
Equity Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. People of color, differently-abled people and LGBTQI persons are strongly encouraged to apply.