Emerald Cities Collaborative Background
The Emerald Cities Collaborative (ECC) is a national non-profit organization comprised of community, labor, business, sustainable development and policy organizations united around the goal of building high road – sustainable, just and inclusive – regional economies. In essence, ECC works at the intersection of environment, economic and equity with a commitment to just and democratic practices. Our multi-stakeholder collaboratives design and implement climate resilient economies in which Black, Indigenous, Communities of Color (BIPOC) and other climate impacted communities are central actors and beneficiaries. In addition to operating local programs in a half dozen metro regions, ECC provides technical assistance on justice-centered policies and programs for numerous government and private sector sustainability programs.
ECC works on greening all areas of the built environment with major focus on energy efficiency/clean energy, sustainable food economies and green infrastructure development. Our core programs include: 1) community and multi-stakeholder engagement and capacity building, 2) RENEW – energy efficiency and renewable energy projects for multi-family affordable housing developments; 3) economic Inclusion policies and programs, including education and training programs in green building technologies for disadvantaged workers and contractors; and 4) Anchors in Resilient Communities (ARC) and other public and private procurement strategies to build community climate resilience. Visit our website for more information: http://www.emeraldcities.org/
Overview of Position
The chief strategy officer (CSO) is a senior level management position based in, but not limited to, any of ECC’s local sites/markets but with responsibilities overseeing and developing high road initiatives across the country. The CSO reports directly to the President/CEO but works within a collegial, non-hierarchical organizational environment.
This new position directs a diverse portfolio. The core responsibility, however, involves identifying and implementing strategies to take ECC’s high road mission to scale through expanding existing programs and establishing new ones. Success entails effectively transitioning the organization from its start-up phase into its highly dynamic and exciting new growth phase.
The CSO works with multiple stakeholders to accelerate the broad adoption of equity and inclusion in sustainability policies and programs. The goal is to promote a values-based (high road) approach to clean infrastructure investments that involve and benefit communities most impacted by a legacy of environmental racism and economic and social inequities.
The breadth of responsibilities include accelerating model high road climate policies and programs through capacity building, technical assistance and strategy development that facilitate: 1) multi-stakeholder engagement in planning and implementation, 2) union and livable wage jobs; 3) diversity and inclusion in jobs and business opportunities; 4) public and private sector procurement strategies to scale the impact on community health, wealth and climate resilience in low-income communities.
The Chief Strategy Officer is responsible for a broad portfolio. The candidate will work with ECC’s president and senior staff to refine, manage and expand ECC’s programs and initiatives. The range of duties include:
- Support and build trusting relationships within the broader environmental/climate, economic development and social justice eco-system to identify and advance justice-centered collaborative efforts;
- Provide thought leadership and senior management support on overall organizational direction;
- Lead review and formulation of business strategies that align with ECC’s mission and values;
- Champion use the of strategic tools and management systems;
- Support ECC’s strategic communication goals, including conference attendance, presentations, blogging;
Program development and management
- Assist local sites develop and implement sound annual program plans and annual budgets;
- Assist local directors with program and market development;
- Promote cross-site learning and exposure;
- Continuous enhancement of ECC’s existing programs and services, including model policies and programs;
- Define frameworks for performance evaluation;
- Measure and track performance;
Growth & Diversification
- Identify and pursue new market opportunities and revenue for organizational growth;
- Develop initiatives/programs/products and services that can be implemented and marketed;
- Design & incubate new ventures, pilots; and
- Proposal and fund development.
The ideal candidate is a mission driven social entrepreneur and solidly rooted in environmental/climate and economic justice. Both visionary and task-oriented, the candidate must demonstrate experience in building and managing organizations and/or programs. Direct experience in such technical areas as clean energy, community/cooperative development, and/or construction is a plus. Other desired qualifications include:
- BA required; masters preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience
- 3 years leadership experience/senior level management
- Proven track record in designing and implementing large scale programs/initiatives
- Strong writing and verbal communication and analytical skills
- Business acumen—quick to grasp underlying revenue, cost and profit drivers
- Experience in consulting, business or program development, strategic planning
- Functional experience (research, marketing, product development)
- Desired technical skills include climate, clean energy, construction, community/coop development.
- Systems/strategic thinker
- Sound judgement based on a combination of observation, analysis and experience
- Success in working with multiple constituencies – labor, community, industry and government
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work as a self-starting member of a team.
- Ability to multi-task – organized and flexible.
- Commitment to the goal of advancing equity and inclusion.
- Ability to travel.
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience.
EMERALD CITIES COLLABORATIVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ENCOURAGES MINORITIES TO APPLY. PERSONNEL ARE CHOSEN BASED ON ABILITY WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, MARITIAL STATUS OR SEXUAL ORIENTATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERAL AND STATE LAW.
 Los Angeles, San Francisco/Oakland, Seattle/Portland, Boston, Washington, DC
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $0.00 per hour
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Monday to Friday
Everyone is currently working remotely from home.
- Professional: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
Company’s Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19