MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization that works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; in which resources are shared equitably and sustainably; in which women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and in which people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE seeks a dynamic, experienced and skilled development professional with a strong track record of securing both private and public funds to lead all aspects of fundraising during a period of unprecedented and rapid growth.
Reporting to the Deputy Director and working closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, the Director of Development is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive and diversified development strategy to raise the organization’s annual budget of $9.1 million and support continued growth. This is to be achieved through providing strategic leadership, work product and supervision to development staff. The Director of Development will lead MADRE’s development team in all aspects of fundraising, including prospecting new institutional and major donors, proposal and report writing, stewarding relationships with donors, overseeing MADRE’s membership program, developing a planned giving program and raising visibility for MADRE in key philanthropic spaces. The position will also work collaboratively with the communications team to develop communication strategies that result in greater individual giving across all gift levels.
The ideal candidate is dedicated, flexible, energetic, enthusiastic, strategic and creative. The Director of Development will provide mentorship, coaching, and supervision to MADRE’s development team; serve as an integral part of the senior leadership team; and be a key driver in helping MADRE achieve its strategic growth goals. The ideal candidate should have outstanding interpersonal skills and effectively deal with a wide range of individuals and groups, including, board members, major donors, prospects and colleagues, while demonstrating warmth, integrity and professionalism. The individual must have superb written and oral communication skills, be a strong researcher and editor, have immaculate attention to detail, and be focused on achieving results.
- Create and execute a comprehensive development vision and strategy in partnership with MADRE’s Deputy Director and the senior leadership team, including benchmarks for progress;
- Develop clear short term and long term plans for the development department that are both ambitious and realistic, including the creation of a departmental budget and calendar;
- Direct all of MADRE’s fundraising activities, including identifying new funding
opportunities, prospecting major donors and implementing targeted tactics for each opportunity;
- Build and supervise a team to achieve fundraising goals;
- Oversee MADRE’s direct mail program and accompanying e-solicitation program;
- Supervise implementation of an individual major donor program for donors and prospects of $1,000+;
- Create donor engagement opportunities, such as meetings, events and site visits;
- Secure financial support from, and develop strategic relationships with, institutional donors, including foundations and corporations;
- Lead the stewardship of MADRE’s funders and ensure they receive timely reports and new requests for funding;
- Oversee the development of high quality proposals that meet donor requirements;
- Strengthen MADRE’s capacity to compete for funding calls in coordination with relevant stakeholders;
- Identify new funding opportunities and donor prospects, developing a pipeline of potential funders and ensuring systematic cultivation and stewardship;
- Work w/ Deputy Director and Finance Department to ensure that all proposal submissions include budgets that adequately cover costs;
- Work closely with staff to ensure fundraising goals are aligned with program goals;
- Analyze development data and reports on a quarterly basis to ensure our best efforts are invested in areas that yield high results;
- Identify needed systems and tools to implement priorities;
- Partner with Executive Director and Deputy Director to manage relationships with board members and promote a culture of philanthropy on the board;
- Support board members in their fundraising roles and responsibilities;
- Staff board development committee;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 10 years non-profit development experience, including proven leadership and management experience
- Strong commitment to the mission of MADRE and the ability to articulate the vision and work
- Proven ability to raise an annual budget on par with MADRE’s and cultivate new donors
- Experience working with both foundations and major donors strongly preferred
- Experience with managing membership programs and online fundraising
- Demonstrated ability to develop, foster and sustain relationships
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior writing skills and the ability to effectively manage a variety of relationships
- Strong critical thinking, research, and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills with ability to juggle multiple tasks, set priorities, effectively manage time and meet deadlines, and proven ability to work under pressure
- Strong knowledge of current trends in charitable giving
- Expertise in the content of MADRE’s work and familiarity with the International Women’s Human Rights movement and its allies preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
To apply, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
MADRE, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people, people with disabilities, and people of diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.