Chhaya seeks an energetic and dynamic Community Organizer to spearhead and lead its grassroots organizing, and advocacy efforts around tenant rights, predatory equity and other issues impacting local residents throughout the borough. The Community Organizer will focus on multiple Queens’s communities, build a leadership body of community residents within the organization, and participate and represent Chhaya in city- wide campaign efforts.
Based in Jackson Heights, Queens, New York, Chhaya Community Development Corporation (Chhaya) – meaning “shelter or shade” is dedicated to creating more stable and sustainable communities by increasing civic participation and addressing the housing and community development needs of New Yorkers of South Asian origin and their neighbors. Its work encompasses community organizing, education and one-on-one counseling as well as research and advocacy around tenant rights, financial education, homeownership, foreclosure prevention, workforce development, energy efficiency, and civic engagement.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Direct organizing, outreach and advocacy efforts on tenant rights, home conversion, predatory lending, and other emerging issues in South Asian immigrant communities;
- Educating tenants and neighborhood residents on housing opportunities, fair housing, gentrification and anti-displacement strategies, through one-on-one counseling, workshops and legal clinics;
- Organize tenants in rent stabilized building, form tenants associations and develop tenant leaders;
- Manage Chhaya’s relationships with clients/ tenants, partner organizations and community members; coalition efforts on housing rights and affordable housing and other housing and tenant coalitions;
- Manage and broaden Chhaya’s membership and building its community;
- Build, support and develop community leaders to take action effectively in the public arena;
- Prepare and manage reports relevant to Chhaya’s organizing and civic engagement work;
- Assist with other related task as need.
- Bilingual in English and any South Asian language (Bangla, Punjabi, Urdu, Nepali, Tibetan or Hindi) is required;
- Experience in community organizing and outreach required;
- Experience with public policy analysis and advocacy preferred;
- BA degree, or equivalent work experience;
- Experience using on-line and social media tools preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills;
- Strong public speaking, writing, and analytical skills;
- Experience or willingness to work on base building, door knocking, and organizing;
- Desire to learn and openness to challenge;
- Experience working in diverse, multicultural and immigrant communities;
Values and Perspectives:
- Commitment to immigrant and housing rights;
- Strong interest in community and social justice issues;
- Respectful and supportive of multi-ethnic, multi-faith, and multilingual organization.
Schedule: This is a full time position, 40 hours per week. Must be available to work flexible hours (evening and weekends).
Reports to: Program Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including generous vacation, health & dental benefits, 403B and TransitChek.
To apply: Send a resume, a cover letter and a list of two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title Community Organizer in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Chhaya CDC is an equal opportunity employer.