Community Voices Heard (CVH) is a member-led multi-racial organization, principally women of color and low-income families in New York State that builds power to secure racial, social, and economic justice for all. Founded in 1994 by welfare recipients in New York City working to fight unjust welfare policies, we have since expanded our organization to include working on multiple issues throughout New York State. Our core organizing issues include fighting for a just social safety net, good jobs and access to them, truly affordable housing, sustainable and resilient communities, immigration reform and a participatory democracy.
For more information please check out our web page at: www.cvhaction.org.
BACKGROUND ON POSITION:
Community Voices Heard is seeking a Policy and Civic Engagement Coordinator to help advance our justice organizing in low-income communities in New York City, Westchester, Dutchess, Orange and Rockland counties. The organization is seeking someone to join the leadership/ management team of the organization and help to bring our work to the next level. After undergoing dramatic expansion over the past year (in terms of locations, membership and issues), the organization is now positioned to have an even greater impact on a broader range of policies at the local, state, and federal levels.
CVH seeks an individual interested in bringing technical skills and expertise to the grassroots – someone wanting to support the development of policy from the ground up and anxious to fuse one’s policy/ research work with ongoing direct-action organizing campaigns. This is an ideal position for individuals with experience or interest in action-oriented and participatory research methodologies.
Policy and civic-engagement work will be oriented around our current organizational policy priority areas, and working within CVH’s sister 501(c)(4) organization Community Voices Heard Power to help ensure that prospective endorsed candidates align with our values and will advance the organizations campaigns.
The position provides a unique opportunity to engage multiple strategies for assisting in moving campaigns forward:
- Develop Policy Proposals: craft proposals for local policies and programs that support the advancement CVH’s campaigns in low-income communities.
- Support Campaigns: work with community members and organizational staff to develop and implement campaign strategy to win policy proposals at city and state levels.
- Provide Training to Community Members: develop and conduct trainings for community leaders on policy issues and processes.
- Advocate for Change: participate in meetings with elected officials and governmental committees, and help prepare community members to do the same, to promote organizational policy proposals.
- Work in Coalition: facilitate meetings with allies and additional stakeholders in order to advance progressive policies and programs in line with CVH’s campaign goals.
Prospective candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- Vision and a commitment to unapologetically building power for low income communities of color.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with a relational organizing model.
- The capacity to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Graduate degree in public policy / administration, urban planning, social work, or relevant field is desired. College-level coursework in social sciences is a minimum requirement.
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative research and analysis, including facility with data analysis software, is preferred. Research design and project management experience is a plus. Previous exposure to action-oriented participatory research methodologies is an advantage.
- Proficiency in more than one language is desired but not required.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including vacation days, personal days, holidays, medical/ dental/vision healthcare coverage, and 403(b) plan.
HOW TO APPLY & TIMELINE:
Please email a resume, writing sample, names of three references and a cover letter detailing your interest in this position and the organization to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Policy and Civic Engagement Coordinator” in the subject line.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, CVH strongly encourages people of color, women, and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applicants who submit materials by September 30th.