1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East is the largest, fastest growing and most progressive union in the United States, representing over 300,000 hospital, nursing home, homecare and human service workers. The members of 1199 SEIU are driven by a mission to achieve affordable, quality healthcare for all. We are currently looking for researchers based in New York City.
The researcher will use a variety of skills to develop and implement public issues campaigns related to the union’s organizing goals. The overall work consists of performing in-depth research to understand health care providers’ operations, to detail employers’ practices, to track industry trends, and to guide the union’s relationships with other stakeholders. The researcher will summarize and interpret data from a variety of public and private sources including: regulatory filings, financial statements, cost reports and public health surveys. They will present complex issues/findings, both in writing and orally, to a range of audiences including government regulators, politicians, organizers, members and local and International Union staff/leaders.
Anyone with a passion for justice, a willingness to learn, solid quantitative skills, the ability to work hard and the drive to make a significant and measurable impact on the world is encouraged to apply.
The position requires a skillset typical of graduates from bachelor’s or graduate programs. However, there is no specific educational requirement, and we encourage applicants with a wide range of education and work experiences to apply.
Starting annual salary is $61,720.51 with bi-annual step increases and cost-of-living increases per the League of Voluntary Hospitals contract.
Job Qualifications: Potential candidates should have the following skills:
- Commitment to social and economic justice;
- An understanding of basic business, financial, legal, and political concepts;
- The ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to changing campaign requirements;
- Excellent critical thinking, communication, writing and quantitative skills;
- Solid computer skills, familiarity with databases and spreadsheet applications including Access and Excel; knowledge of SQL or other data manipulation or programming skills a plus;
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work independently;
- Curiosity, ingenuity, flexibility, and proactivity;
- Education and/or experience in health-related fields a plus;
- Past experience in labor or other social justice organizing a plus
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com
1199SEIU is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.