1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East is the largest, fastest growing and most progressive union in the United States, representing over 300,000 hospital, nursing home, homecare and human service workers. The members of 1199 SEIU are driven by a mission to achieve affordable, quality healthcare for all. We are currently looking for a Lead Researcher based in New York City.
The lead researcher will use a variety of skills to develop and implement public issues campaigns related to the union’s organizing goals. The overall work consists of leading a team dedicated performing in-depth research to understand health care providers’ operations; This includes detailing employers’ practices and tracking industry and regulatory trends, in order to guide the union’s relationships with other stakeholders. The Lead Researcher will develop a deep understanding of the healthcare industry in order to interact with union leadership and other stakeholders within and outside of the labor movement, in order to plan and assess strategic projects and campaigns.
The position requires a skillset typical of graduates from bachelor’s or graduate programs. However, there is no specific educational requirement, and we encourage applicants with a wide range of education and work experiences to apply.
Starting annual salary is $93,776.98.
Job Qualifications: Potential candidates should have the following skills:
- 7+ Years of relevant work experience;
- Experience planning and managing research projects in support of campaigns;
- Strong technical research skills and ability to apply research to the development of strategic campaigns;
- Experience in corporate research and financial analysis;
- The ability to assess strategic campaigns and develop work as needed;
- Excellent critical thinking, communication, writing and quantitative skills;
- Experience with Excel; knowledge of SQL or other data manipulation or programming skills a plus; Experience with Python a plus; Experience with ArcGIS a plus;
- Strong interpersonal skills, Experience delegating and overseeing work, with an ability to manage multiple projects; Experience mentoring staff and participating in staff evaluations;
- Curiosity, ingenuity, flexibility, and proactivity;
- Commitment to social and economic justice;
- Education and/or experience in health-related fields a plus;
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
1199SEIU is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.