America Works lifts people out of poverty using its unique brand of intensive, personalized employment services. Called “a company with a conscience,” it was founded in 1984 by social activist and entrepreneur Peter Cove, a Boston native who wanted to put his ideals about poverty and the American dream into practice. America Works is headquartered in New York City and has offices across all five boroughs.
Teacher / Trainer Role Details:
As businesses and technologies shift, the skills required to succeed in the workforce are also changing. America Works provides each jobseeker a suite of education and training opportunities – tailored to that jobseeker’s unique needs – to help improve their options in the current economic landscape in New York City. Anticipated teacher / Trainer compensation commensurate with experience.
Teacher / Trainers (“Trainers”) will work with America Works’ Education and Training Team, a team of nearly 20 fellow educators to facilitate engaging training programs that provide critical knowledge and tangible, marketable skills to adult jobseekers. The ideal candidate has experience teaching, enjoys working with diverse groups of people, is interested in being a part of a dynamic team of educators interested in sharing best practices and collaborating on curriculum and classroom engagement tactics, and is a self-starter looking to play a proactive role in helping shape the education department at America Works. The trainer will work closely with clients in the Bronx location.
As a key member of the America Works Education and Training Team, the Trainer will have opportunities to:
- Work with education and training team to provide job-readiness, skill development, and vocational training to low-income and unemployed adults (“AW clients”)
- Plan and facilitate classes in English (and, in the case of selected Spanish-speaking candidates, potentially facilitate courses in Spanish)
- Support AW clients on a path toward long-term success by seeking to understand / identify their individual career needs and corresponding career milestones and goals; refer AW clients into technical skills training and certification programs
- Translate complex material in a way that is engaging, dynamic, and relatable for AW clients interested in various career paths; relate class content to real-life scenarios in which AW clients may find themselves
- Assist Spanish-speaking AW clients in navigating the job search process
- Work with America Works’ job placement team to connect AW clients in classes with logical employment opportunities based on demonstrated skills, career goals, and character / professional strengths
- Facilitate feedback surveys and track attendance, examination, and employment outcomes for AW clients in classes
The ideal candidate is:
- A people-person: Truly loves working with others, able to relate to individuals from all walks of life, patient and understanding
- Dynamic: Strong presentation skills with a knack for engaging audiences, capable of teaching both one-on-one, small groups, and large groups
- Innovative: brings new methods of teaching into classroom and is eager to provide and facilitate solutions when facing roadblocks
- Able to roll with the punches / be flexible: Capable of picking up skills and projects quickly, willing to be flexible and work with team to provide best instruction possible
- Communicative: Able to relay complex materials clearly to low-literacy learners, strong interpersonal and professional communication skills
- A true team player: Enjoys working with groups, able to work across departments to ensure best outcomes for students
- College degree required
- Must have 1-2 years of experience teaching
- Experience in high school teaching, higher education, and / or adult education preferred · Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
- America Works is hiring trainers for locations in the Bronx, Staten Island, and Downtown Brooklyn. Travel to midtown Manhattan may be required at times.
- Interested candidates should provide an up-to-date resume and a letter of interest that speaks to a) why you feel you are a strong candidate for this position and b) what you are uniquely positioned to bring to America Works generally and the Education and Training team, specifically.
- Please email the above-mentioned documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “APPLICANT_AW Teacher / Trainer Position”