32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the United States, with 175,000 members in eleven states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of driving a progressive policy agenda, including living and prevailing wage laws, responsible procurement and development standards, and access to quality health care.
We are currently seeking a Field Representative to join our district staff, and help us engage, educate and grow our membership in the Central/South New Jersey area. The Field Representative is an internal organizer, building the movement for social and economic justice by identifying, recruiting and developing member leaders.
32BJ Field Representatives perform a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program or of a specific campaign. They must be able to organize their time effectively, and develop and carry out plans with minimal supervision. They receive direction and goals from program directors and supervisors, and keep them informed of progress and new challenges. Field Reps may be required to work long or irregular hours, and to work on weekends and holidays.
- Identifying and developing worksite leaders;
- Identifying and developing Shop Stewards and/or building leaders in all assigned sites;
- Expanding activist base of the Union by connecting members to a variety of activities;
- Developing worksite or company-wide contract campaigns for non-master contract sites;
- Working with Grievance Center staff to insure coordinated delivery of services to members;
- Other duties as required.
- Must be bilingual (English-Spanish);
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire members to develop into leaders and participate in key Union programs (political, growth, bargaining, etc.);
- Ability to take initiative and be creative in developing new roles for members within the Union and provide the support needed to be successful;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Working knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining and contract administration;
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, both individually and as a team member;
- Must have good administrative skills and be able to use basic computer applications (MS Word, Internet/email functions) as well as tracking and database tools;
- Must be able to follow established protocols inherent in a large organization (following procedures, reporting work accurately and timely, respecting chain of command, etc.);
- Must have a car and valid driver’s license.
Details at a glance
- On-site Location
- Full Time Schedule
32BJ offers a competitive salary. An excellent benefits package includes employer-paid medical and dental insurance for full-time employees and their qualified dependents, and a weekly travel allowance.
Level of Language Proficiency
How To Apply
32BJ is an equal opportunity employer. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Please send a resume and a letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org Please use “Field Rep” in the Subject line of your email.