BerlinRosen is a leading national progressive public relations and strategic communications firm delivering high impact media, digital and advertising strategies to top organizations, companies, and candidates. Founded as a two-person startup in 2005 by Valerie Berlin and Jonathan Rosen, the firm has grown to a staff of over 130 with offices in New York City, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles. BerlinRosen has become known as the go-to firm for progressive organizations, campaigns, and candidates working on today’s most pressing public issues across the U.S.
Our clients are at the forefront of progressive work around racial justice and civil rights, low-wage worker advocacy, voting rights, economic security, the environment, affordable housing, human rights, LGBT issues, healthcare, education, money in politics and ending mass incarceration.
About the Opportunity
The National Division is seeking a strategic, talented and committed leader to serve as its next Vice President. The team works with major national progressive organizations on some of the most high-profile issues of our time. We help our clients advocate for women’s reproductive rights, immigration reform, clean energy, healthcare for all, racial justice, pay equity, juvenile and criminal justice reform and much more.
As Vice President, you will be responsible for leading, managing, and inspiring a dynamic team of committed professionals. You will develop, oversee, and guide the execution of communications strategies for high-impact campaigns, including producing and editing compelling content. You will maintain and grow high-quality relationships with members of the media, work directly with clients who will come to depend on your strategic insights, and collaborate closely with the EVP, Managing Director and other firm leaders on developing new business. You will manage the professional development of your direct reports and oversee the hiring of new staff. You will also be responsible for managing accounts and budgets.
This position provides a unique opportunity to play a leadership role on a talented and motivated team working with major national progressive organizations, foundations and academic institutions on some of the most high-profile issues of our time. The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader, strategist and communicator who can effectively manage a team with patience and grace.
Qualifications and Experience
- 8+ of relevant professional experience in strategic communications and campaigns
- 5+ years’ experience managing people, including demonstrated ability to successfully motivate, manage and mentor a team to meet objectives
- Experience managing finances and budgets
- Expertise leading creative communications or media campaigns around policy or political issues
- Strong news and political savvy and deep knowledge of the current media and political landscape
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with all levels of clients, media and staff members
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to take complex issues and quickly craft easily understood written material
- Ability to effectively edit staff materials and develop their writing skills
- Strong experience with media relations and demonstrated relationships with national reporters
- Command of digital strategy
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience in a communications-related field
- A deep level of personal commitment to social justice, especially advancing racial and gender equity
- Low ego, patient and compassionate, with a desire to work collaboratively with junior and senior colleagues and clients
- Someone who enjoys working in a team environment that fosters staff growth
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A sense of humor
Salary and Benefits
Very competitive salary; benefits include 401K, Bonuses, Dental, Vision, and Health insurance.
BerlinRosen is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Women, people of color, people with disabilities and people identifying as LBGTQ are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and BerlinRosen is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.