West Harlem Environmental Action, Inc. (a/k/a WE ACT for Environmental Justice) (WE ACT) is a 501 (C)(3) community-based environmental justice organization. Our mission is to build healthy communities by assuring that people of color and/or low-income participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair environmental health and protection policies and practices. We are dedicated to building community power to fight environmental racism and improve environmental health, protection and policy in communities of color. To accomplish our mission we engage in community organizing, community-based research, education/training, and community-driven advocacy campaigns to change public policy.
WE ACT seeks an energetic self-starter to fill the Bilingual Spanish / English Community Organizer and Outreach Coordinator position. The successful candidate should be dedicated to raising public awareness of environmental justice issues affecting people of color and low-income residents of Northern Manhattan. The Community Organizer will work with WE ACT’s organizing team to increase our Latinx membership and achieve grassroots objectives in our campaigns, projects and initiatives.
- Work closely with the Organizing Team to develop and implement strategies for WE ACT’s campaigns, projects and initiatives
- Work collaboratively with the other key departments (i.e. Environmental Health, Communications, Policy and Development)
- Recruit and retain Latinx members from Northern Manhattan
- Conduct leadership development trainings and increase the number of Latinx leaders in our membership program
- Coordinate and conduct organizing events (develop outreach materials, supervise phone banks, conduct door to door outreach to residents in Northern Manhattan and plan informational sessions on key issues)
- Data Entry and tracking. Our current database is Nationbuilder
- Participating in and prepping members to testify at hearing, rallies, press events and other key grassroots engagement opportunities
- Translation and interpretation of materials for community events
- Other community organizing responsibilities as necessary
- BS/BA degree or an equivalent of two (2) years of organizing experience is required.
- Knowledge of Northern Manhattan communities
- Knowledge of environmental and social justice issues affecting communities of color and low income communities
- Ability to work collaboratively and work on a variety of projects simultaneously
- Experience promoting issues and policy objectives
- Graphics design skills strongly desired
- Fluent written and oral communication in Spanish/English necessary
Details at a glance
- On-site Location
- Full Time Schedule
- 4-Year Degree Required
Medical and dental and vision benefits, with small life insurance through ADP are available after two month waiting period. Pre-tax transit card is available one month after…
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in Spanish,
- translation to English
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to Evelyn Joseph, Director of Administration and Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1854 Amsterdam Ave, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10031