Working in the NYC Mayor’s Office at City Hall within the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services, the Deputy Chief of Staff will provide high level administrative and policy support to the Deputy Mayor and her Chief of Staff, helping to manage the Deputy Mayor’s entire portfolio of agencies, which includes: the Administration for Children’s Services, Department for the Aging, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Department of Social Services, Department of Homeless Services, Health + Hospitals, Human Resources Administration, Mayor’s Office to End Domestic and Gender Based Violence, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Office of Food Policy, the Unity Project, and the NYC Children’s Cabinet.
The Deputy Chief of Staff will also serve as the Office’s primary liaison to several agencies and initiatives, largely within the human services portfolio. The Deputy Chief of Staff’s efforts will span a range of responsibilities including directly managing day-to-day staff operations; coordinating personnel matters and other sensitive or confidential tasks; and coordinating with City Hall communications, press, and legislative affairs teams to advance the Deputy Mayor’s agenda. In addition, the Deputy Chief of Staff will identify and manage relevant cross-agency initiatives within the Deputy Mayor’s portfolio.
Human Resources Administration (HRA)/Health and Human Services (Deputy Mayor for Health & Human Services is recruiting for one (1) Secretary to the Department, M3 to function as Deputy Chief of Staff for the Deputy Mayor for Health & Human Services. Working in the NYC Mayor’s Office at City Hall within the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services, the Deputy Chief of Staff will:
• Provide daily briefings to the Deputy Mayor and Chief of Staff on high priority and time-sensitive
issues across the Health and Human Services portfolio.
• Provide project-based or managerial support to team members in the Office of the Deputy Mayor
of Health and Human Services; oversee the development of cross-portfolio, multi-agency
initiatives and programs in order to ensure that appropriate goals and timelines are met.
• Manage administrative processes related to hiring of staff, contract approvals, travel requests,
and agency audits; create and compile briefing materials, decision memos and talking points for
use by the Deputy Mayor and Chief of Staff.
• Perform qualitative and quantitative assessments of policy proposals, including budget review
and legislation, and make recommendations and presentations to the Deputy Mayor, Chief of
Staff, and other senior officials within the Mayor’s Office.
• Serve as the primary liaison between agencies within his/her portfolio and the Office of the
Deputy Mayor, to monitor projects, city/state/federal legislation, and long-term planning.
• Assist the Deputy Mayor and Chief of Staff with oversight of structural or organizational issues
facing agencies within his/her portfolio, as well as advise on key hiring or appointments.
• Coordinate with relevant agencies, boards, commissions, organizations, and institutions to
pursue new initiatives, meet project goals and timelines, review agency and interagency work
products, coordinate communications and outreach strategies, and ensure positive and efficient
relationships between all stakeholders.
• Ensure robust reporting, tracking, risk identification and management, and appropriate synthesis
of issues for the Deputy Mayor and other key staff as required.
• Review agency and interagency work products, coordinate communications and outreach
strategies, and ensure positive and efficient relationships between all stakeholders.
2. A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, and at least 5 years of related experience.
the provision of services across its five boroughs; an understanding of New York City’s
government agencies and/or community-based organizations is a plus.
• Excellent communication, writing, research, analytical and organizational skills, with ability to
rapidly problem solve and pay close attention to detail.
• Ability to complete work independently with broadly defined work objectives and limited review
of overall results.
• Experience managing multiple employees as part of a team, as well as interfacing with senior
• A demonstrated commitment to social services, health equity and public service.
• Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic team culture.