We are growing the Cooperative Development Program (CDP) in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Join a dynamic team of people who share your passion for positive social change! CDP channels the power of cooperative business ownership & grassroots social group work to address systemic oppression and shift economic power to low-income immigrant workers.
The Organization: The Center for Family Life has been at the forefront of worker cooperative development for the past 12 years.
● We provide support and consultation services to worker-owned businesses with a commitment to fair wages and working conditions based on principles of social justice, equity, and democracy. Since 2006, we have provided technical assistance and training to 21 cooperatives representing 540 worker-owners, and trained 30+ community-based organizations on cooperative development.
● We are scaling the impact of worker cooperatives by leveraging the power of business development and marketing tools that have historically been inaccessible to low-income immigrant communities. Since 2016, we have supported the development and growth of Up & Go, a worker-owned booking app for cooperatives to market their services. The first worker cooperative franchised brand, Brightly Cleaning, launches in 2019 including shared branding and back office systems to help new worker-owned businesses more easily start up and reach sustainability.
We believe that it is more important than ever to strengthen community self-determination, leadership, and advocacy. We invite you to be part of creating a new economic system that puts people and the planet before profit.
The Position: You will join a group of experienced Cooperative Developers to help us launch a worker cooperative in the cleaning sector and under the Brightly brand, as well as support existing cooperatives. The Communications & Cooperative Developer position will also manage our program communications, including member outreach & engagement and our monthly newsletter content and delivery.
The Ideal Communications & Cooperative Developer will possess:
● Strong written and oral English and Spanish skills required.
● Strong facilitation skills, including workshop and meeting facilitation.
● Superior organizational, business, problem-solving, and communication skills. You are excited about starting small cooperatively owned businesses with community members and figuring out the best way to communicate complex ideas & tasks.
● Communications and marketing skills and experience, including developing messaging for nonprofit or marketing campaigns, graphic design, and/or social media management experience. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite is an asset.
● B.A. or M.A. in Business, Public Administration, Social Work, Community Development, Communications, or other related field.
● Passion for learning while engaging in diverse and creative work. The range of responsibilities varies from conducting feasibility studies to preparing curriculum and agendas for meetings, figuring out legal incorporation and governance issues, individual and group leadership development coaching, and building a movement toward a solidarity economy. The diversity of tasks can be demanding, but if you are up for the challenge we can promise it will never get boring.
● Demonstrated commitment to social justice and economic democracy. You have a deep understanding of systemic oppression and are committed to dismantling it. You are eager to learn more about and strengthen the cooperative economics/solidarity economy movement locally and nationally, especially with immigrant communities.
● Experience working on complex multi-stakeholder projects. You excel at coordinating with people and bringing them together to create and work towards a common vision.
● Ability to thrive in a highly-collaborative work environment.
You may be a strong candidate even if you don’t have all of the skills and characteristics described above. You might have important skills not listed here. If you are excited about this position and what you can bring to our work, we want to read your application!
This position is Full Time and we offer a competitive benefits package, including health care (medical, dental, vision), 4 weeks of vacation, generous sick leave. Salary: $45,000.
Please send us your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should include: “Communications & Cooperative Developer.” Applications will be
reviewed on a rolling basis. We are aiming for a mid-January 2019 start date.
The Center for Family Life, which is a program of SCO Family of Services, is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to build a Cooperative Development Team that reflects and shares community with the cooperatives we work with. Women, people of color, LGBTQI identified people, immigrants, and people with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.