UNITE HERE is hiring Campaign Researchers in several locations: Baltimore, MD, Boston, MA, New Haven, CT, Sacramento, CA, Seattle, WA, Washington, DC
UNITE HERE is a progressive labor union, fighting for dignity, living wages and affordable health care for hospitality workers. We represent 300,000 workers in the hotel, industrial laundries and kitchens, gaming and food service industries throughout the United States and Canada. Through organizing, UNITE HERE members have made hundreds of thousands of traditionally low-wage jobs into good, family-sustaining, middle class jobs. www.unitehere.org
Here is a quick video that will give you a sense of the fights we took on during the first year of the pandemic – highlighting the courage, determination and resilience of our members fighting for their lives and futures, and the future of democracy in our country: https://unitehere.app.box.com/s/cru9zfo1z2ibh3gi49zyfknellec3oy5
We are really proud of what we accomplished while more than 95% of UNITE HERE’s members were laid off for many months. And through 2020 and 2021, even in the midst of this upheaval, we kept organizing and 15,000 more workers joined our union!
UNITE HERE research teams conduct industry, corporate, real estate and political research and analysis to develop and carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for low wage, primarily immigrant hospitality workers. Our campaigns organize non-union workers and secure improved standards for existing union members in the food service, gaming and casino, and hotel industries.
Our research teams conduct industry, corporate, real estate and political research and analysis to develop and carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for low wage, primarily immigrant hospitality workers. Our campaigns organize non-union workers and secure improved standards for existing union members in the food service, gaming and casino, and hotel industries.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including published databases, on-line and Internet sources
- Conduct local and field research on companies, industries and/or real estate development projects
- Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g. leadership & staff, workers, stockholders, political & regulatory bodies, the public)
- Identify and analyze new development projects in our industries and represent the union during the planning & political approval process
- Communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of players including community organizations, company officials, customers, government staff and elected leaders
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, regional staff and elected leaders; assist in moving campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, doing political work, as needed.
Desired Qualifications include:
- Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers’ rights
- BA degree or relevant research and/or activist experience (labor, political, urban planning, or community/campus)
- Strong analytical, writing, computer and interpersonal/organizing skills
- Willingness to travel extensively, to work long and sometimes irregular hours, and relocate as necessary
- Familiarity with database and word processing software
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines
- Reliable car and driver’s license
Current UNITE HERE Campaign Researchers have worked in the past as community and union organizers, urban planners, journalists, teachers, and researchers elsewhere.
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary: $48,000-$58,000 range commensurate with experience. UNITE HERE offers exceptional benefits, including family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage with no employee premiums, retirement funds (401k and pension), and generous paid time off.
UNITE HERE has extensive COVID Health & Safety protocols in place and are available upon request. Offices are currently open; occasional hybrid work accommodations are available depending on circumstances.
UNITE HERE is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.