The mission of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation (UMEZ) is to sustain the economic revitalization of all communities in Upper Manhattan through job creation, corporate alliances, strategic investments and small business investments. UMEZ facilitates economic development in the neighborhoods of Central, East and West Harlem, Washington Heights; and Inwood.
UMEZ is a recognized Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s CDFI Fund, with over $80 million in assets. UMEZ is proud to be a part of a national network promoting economic growth by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
Job Title: Business Development Officer
Reports to: Senior Vice President for Commercial Lending
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President for Commercial Lending, the BDO is responsible for sourcing new clients, as well as, interfacing with existing clients. The BDO provides outreach and awareness to the community regarding small business lending products offered by UMEZ, conducts interviews with prospective borrowers, and participates with the local community and business organizations to promote UMEZ’s products and services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Include the following and other duties may be assigned):
- Under the guidance of the Senior Vice President for Commercial Lending participate in various business development activities by building purposeful relationships to procure new loan applicants for UMEZ loan products with local businesses in the target market.
- Provide one-on-one counseling, referral opportunities, and customer support to small businesses in order to assist their efforts to secure funding.
- Develop new referral and partner relationships and maintain existing ones.
- Cultivate new lead referrals to enhance conversion rates from loan inquiry to completed application.
- Engage in public speaking and participate in networking events.
- Assist local entrepreneurs and strategizing with them to overcome business development issues; advises clients on the loan application process and basic criteria used to determine creditworthiness.
- Gather client application information and visit clients’ and loan applicants’ business locations to verify information, check on progress and offer technical assistance, referrals, and follow-up as necessary.
- Recommend appropriate UMEZ loan products to fit the needs of small business owners.
May be asked to attend non-work hours events or meetings as it relates to engaging and representing UMEZ’s mission to cultivate community partnerships and promote lending activities.
Background and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in business or a related field
- Basic knowledge of finance and acumen for reviewing and analyzing financial statements.
- Advanced writing and oral presentation skills
- 1-2 years in lending experience with small businesses or work experience in community development.
- Excellent business development, outreach, detail-oriented, and have strong follow-up skills.
- Must be able to engage in a tactful manner with potential borrowers, existing borrowers, and community partners.
- Strong presentation, communication, customer service and relationship-building skills.
- Effective communicator with cultural competency to connect with a diverse audience.
- Community residence and/or familiarity with Upper Manhattan community preferred.
- An energetic and resourceful person with a strong interest in community engagement
- A self-starter; a team player; a strategic thinker; a creative problem solver.
Language Skills: Bi-Lingual, English and Spanish, a plus but not necessary
Education: Undergraduate degree in business or a related field
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Employment Type: This is a full-time position
Salary Range: The salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
The benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance as well as a 401K plan.
Interested candidates should e-mail or mail a resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Manager
55 West 125th Street, 11th Floor
New York, New York 10027
Attn: Community Lending Officer
No Phone Calls or Faxes Please