New Economy Project works with community groups to build an economy that works for all New Yorkers, rooted in racial and gender justice, cooperation, and ecological sustainability. Founded in 1995, New Economy Project organizes coalitions and campaigns that challenge systemic racism in our financial services system and economy; and advance cooperative and community-led development through community land trusts, public banking, and other strategies. We engage in cutting-edge legal advocacy, through our NYC Financial Justice Hotline, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community know-your-rights education.
New Economy Project has an immediate opening for a Staff Attorney. This is a new position at the organization. The Staff Attorney will provide one-on-one assistance to low-income New Yorkers who call our legal hotline, and work on a wide range of impact litigation cases. The staff attorney will also contribute to New Economy Project’s policy, community education, and communications work.
- Staff our free NYC Financial Justice Hotline, through which we assist low-income New Yorkers harmed by discriminatory and abusive financial services
- Work on impact litigation that addresses systemic racial discrimination and wealth extraction by Wall Street banks, debt buyers, and other entities
- Contribute to city- and state-wide coalitions and campaigns, including by conducting legal and policy research, and engaging interested hotline callers and community groups in campaigns
- Speak at community and public policy forums, and testify at public hearings on financial justice matters
- Lead know-your-rights workshops for community groups’ staff and members
- Prepare and update know-your-rights information, hotline case examples, “New Yorkers Speak Out” testimonials, and other resources
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working in a public interest law organization or similar setting
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing, research, and analytical skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and effectively manage multiple assignments
- Experience working with community groups and people of diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated interest in the intersection between law, organizing, and social change
- Admission to the New York State bar
- Fluency in Spanish a major plus
Salary is competitive with NYC public interest law organizations and commensurate with experience, with an expected annual salary between $68,000 and $78,000. New Economy Project offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) and flexible spending plans, and generous paid-time off.
The position is based in NYC. Staff members are currently working remotely.
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter as one pdf document to: email@example.com, with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Indicate in your cover letter your interest in and qualifications for this position.
New Economy Project is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace, and to providing staff with ongoing professional development opportunities. We encourage people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ candidates, immigrants, and people from low-income backgrounds to apply.