32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the Northeast, with over 175,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee family sustaining wages, improving working conditions for fast food workers and other low wage workers, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
Reporting to the Deputy Political Director for NY State, the Political Organizer is responsible for member engagement and support of the Union’s NY City-based legislative and political work.
This position is based in New York City, and requires some travel across the state, including to Long Island and Albany.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting member engagement of the Union’s New York City political and legislative campaign activities, including scheduling lobby meetings with union members and new organizing workers. Other campaign activities include preparing members and logistics for lobby days, phone banking, rallies, and press events on a range of issues including workers’ rights; and economic, racial, immigrant, and climate justice.
- Working with the Deputy Political Director to plan and implement the Union’s New York City member-led political engagement program, including:
- Monitoring and organizing union members during local legislative and policy reform initiatives that affect workers’ rights, immigrants’ rights, responsible economic development, and more;
- Supporting the Union’s work and member involvement with local elected officials at the City level;
- Engaging local labor and community allies on the Union’s work;
- Implementing the union member focused local electoral field activities, including planning get-out-the-vote (GOTV) events.
- Supporting Fast Food worker organizing and worker engagement in the Union’s political program
- Supporting Airport worker organizing, legislative campaigns and strategic planning
- Drafting materials as needed for various activities, including emails, flyers, one-pagers, and campaign plans;
- Drafting and updating training materials for members for various activities;
- Supporting efforts to mobilize, train, and educate union members and activists for legislative and electoral activity.
- Up to one year of experience preferred supporting legislative, electoral, or community organizing campaigns;
- Desire to work and grow in the labor movement
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Experience building relationships with various stakeholders;
- Basic understanding of NYC political, electoral and legislative processes;
- Desire and willingness to work as part of a team and across departments within the Union;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Our benefits package includes employer-paid health and dental insurance for employees and their qualified dependents, and a retirement benefit.
How to Apply
Please email résumé and letter of interest to Human Resources – HR@seiu32bj.org , with subject “Political Organizer NYC”
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
New York, NY