North Bay Jobs with Justice is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Lead Organizer. Position open until filled.
North Bay Jobs with Justice is a long-term, strategic coalition of labor, faith, immigrant rights, student, and community-based organizations working together to build a progressive movement for economic and social justice. North Bay Jobs with Justice is based upon a direct-action model of solidarity and we organize campaigns in the common interests of our broad-based membership. Campaigns include: the right to organize, living and minimum wage, immigrant rights, racial and gender justice, community benefits, health care for all, food and environmental justice, affordable housing, and addressing wage theft. State and local policy initiatives are an important component of the work of North Bay Jobs with Justice. The organization is affiliated with the national Jobs with Justice network and based in Sonoma and Marin counties with an office in Santa Rosa.
General Responsibilities of the Lead Organizer:
- Report to the Executive Director to perform duties as needed in
conjunction with the priority issues and campaigns set by the Executive Committee and Steering Committee;
- Supervise organizing staff, interns, and our Know Your Rights trainers;
- Assist the Executive Director in carrying out multi-year strategy, program development, and the coordination of campaign implementation and evaluation.
- Support and work effectively with coalition members and representatives of the Steering Committee to grow their leadership and engagement in the organization; Expand and build on the organizational membership of the organization;
- Represent the organization and serve as the liaison of North Bay Jobs with Justice at community meetings, student meetings/events, or any meetings/events where we are asked to speak, when called to do so.
Administration, Fundraising, & Volunteer Management
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Co-Chairs, build and maintain relationships with foundations and major donors as needed;
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and NBJWJ fundraising committee in fundraising activities, such as our annual awards ceremony;
- Help recruit and retain volunteers most impacted by our campaigns who reside in low-income and working class communities;
- Support, train and mentor volunteers.
Key Qualities and Competencies
- Written and oral fluency in English and Spanish required;
- Strong commitment to and understanding of worker justice and the labor movement, gender and racial justice, immigrant justice, and the importance of an intersectional social justice movement;
- 2-3 years experience in labor, student or community organizing with extensive knowledge and skill in developing and leading effective campaign strategy;
- Ability to work collaboratively within a diverse organization;
- Ability to work effectively within immigrant communities, LGBQ and Trans communities, and communities of color;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Effective time management skills;
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as needed;
- Willingness to travel for conferences and National Jobs with Justice gatherings in other states;
- Willingness to travel throughout Sonoma and Marin Counties and occasional travel to San Francisco and Oakland. Must have valid driver’s license and proof of car insurance by job start date.
Additional qualifications and skills desired
- Basic experience and skills in canvassing and phone banking;
- Experience leading a team of staff, interns or volunteers;
- Experience with coalition-based organizing;
- Training or presenting workshops experience;
- Knowledge and participation with Jobs with Justice;
Starting salary $50,000 – $60,000 (depending on experience) with annual raises; fully paid health, vision and dental benefits; retirement benefits; paid leave, vacation and sick time; 13 paid holidays; option to be represented by a union. Moving and relocation assistance provided if needed.
Submit cover letter and resume with three work references to:
North Bay Jobs with Justice, P.O. Box 427, Santa Rosa 95402, or
email email@example.com with the subject line “Lead Organizer Application” North Bay Jobs with Justice is an equal opportunity employer.
We strongly encourage youth, people of color, women, Trans, LBGQ, and people with disabilities to apply