East Coast location preferred
Athena works on delivering democracy by taking on a primary impediment to a democracy that represents us all and an economy that works for everyone: Amazon.com. We are a growing coalition of local, state-wide and national organizations tackling the corporation’s nefarious size, power, scope and operations, in particular: antimonopoly remedies; local and regional governance; data abuse, especially the racism of surveillance technologies; environmental and climate (in)justices; and working conditions. More about our coalition is at www.athenaforall.org
The Project Associate is a wide-ranging position, reporting directly to the coalition Director, supporting her and other coalition staff. The Project Associate also serves as the first point of contact for most Athena members and all external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the coalition + Director.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks for the Coalition, the Director and all Athena staff, including:
Event + Meeting support:
- Managing the coalition’s extremely active calendar of meetings, including scheduling.
- Arranging and managing logistics for complex and detailed events, including logistics, reminders, agendas, documents, notes, etc.
- Identifying potential problems and/or points of friction and working to find solutions to maximize efficacy.
- In-person support including notes, registration, logistics, etc.
Budget + Financial support:
- Managing financial transactions including subgrants, reimbursements, and payments
- Project budget tracking
Support of the Director + Staff
- Support the coalition with regular internal coalition communications
- Serve as the first point of contact for prospective members, partners, funders, and others.
- Serve as the first point of contact for members with questions about logistics, etc.
- Monitoring and responding to Director’s emails when necessary and ensuring appropriate follow up
- Provide clerical, scheduling and travel support to Athena staff
Assisting with other duties as assigned
- Thoughtfulness, kindness, patience and good humor
- Leadership, conflict management skills
- Extremely detail- and systems-oriented
- Experience with data management
- Proficiency in Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Zoom
- Strong written communication skills
- Experience using social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Experience working with communities of color, working-class communities, under-resourced organizations and multilingual people for whom English is not a first language
- Commitment to developing one’s critical understanding of racial capitalism, patriarchy and the contemporary political economy
- Excellent writing, editing, grammatical, organizational and research skills
- Ability to travel monthly
- Ability to work irregular hours; this job is national so both east and west coast hours are regularly required (though usually not on the same day)
- Assessing and analyzing budgets to find ways to minimize expenses and optimize funds
LGBTQ, women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. Salary for this position is $55,000-$65,000 and includes excellent benefits; this position is housed at United for Respect but reports solely to the Athena director, who is based in New York; the position can be remote. To apply please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Athena operations” in the subject line.