About us: New Labor is an organization of mostly low wage immigrant workers that educates, organizes and fights for better conditions of work. We are a membership based organization with centers in New Brunswick, Newark and Lakewood. Our goal is to make progressive change at the local and state levels through member driven trainings, actions and campaigns.
Position Description: New Labor seeks an energetic organizer for our Lakewood, NJ center. This position includes coordinating our Domestic Worker Campaign with member leaders to uphold local standards and fight for a statewide bill of rights.
• Conduct regular recruitment to build our base of membership in the Lakewood area, including “equipo de la calle.”
• Maintain constant communication with member leaders to support their outreach and education efforts.
• Help identify and develop member leaders within the organization.
• Conduct 1 on1’s with members and potential members.
• Mobilization of members and community for actions and marches.
• Domestic Worker Campaign coordination, including: coordination of Comité de Trabajadoras Domésticas; survey work; leadership development and campaign strategy and tactics; interfacing with the National Domestic Worker Alliance; interfacing with member run private Facebook group and public Facebook page.
• Assist in facilitation of monthly meetings.
• Collaborate on creation and implementation of training/education curricula.
• Data entry of membership information and contact follow-up.
• Assistance and follow up with workplace problems intake.
• Coordination of monthly social events/topical workshops.
• Coordinate member workplace health and safety trainings.
• Outreach to build and maintain relationships with local and state partners.
• Support of New Labor campaigns including: temp worker bill of rights; workplace organizing and enforcement of worker labor law protections; drivers licenses implementation; ESL and workplace health and safety trainings.
• Will report to Director
A successful organizer will have a demonstrated commitment to social justice and community organizing, as well as leadership development of members.
• Must be English/Spanish bilingual, speaking and writing.
• Domestic worker experience preferred.
• Experience working in the community/worker center/labor organizing.
• Familiarity with popular education.
• Drivers license preferred and able to drive.
• Proficient computer skills: database /graphic design knowledge helpful
• Able to work irregular hours, including weekends.
• Self motivated and able to handle multiple projects that can occur simultaneously
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
This is a full time union position
Please send cover letter and resume to Lou Kimmel, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with “organizer” in the email subject.
New Labor is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, immigrants, and people of color are especially encouraged to apply.