The Arab American Association of New York is a 501(c)(3) not for profit social service and advocacy organization located in Brooklyn, New York. Our mission is to support and empower the Arab immigrant community by providing services that will help them to adjust to their new homeland and become active members of American society. Our aim is for families to achieve the ultimate goals of independence, productivity, and stability.
About the Position:
AAANY is looking for a Youth Organizer to maintain and expand our Advocacy Department. Applicants should be committed to building strong relationships with Arab American and immigrant communities residing in Bay Ridge and Sunset Park, Brooklyn, with the goal of strengthening the capacity of our membership and engaging them in city-wide campaigns and coalition efforts.
- Direct base-building efforts as well as coalition and campaign building
- Manage and facilitate Brooklynat Support group
- Conduct Census outreach and community information sessions
- Grow the base and its impact by organizing, doing outreach, and facilitating member meetings; identifying, developing, and implementing campaigns; and planning and leading direct actions.
- Occasionally represent AAANY in speaking engagements such as press conferences, rally programming, workshops, etc.
- Develop relationships with member-leaders and organizational allies; work closely with organizational allies to develop campaigns and members.
- Develop and manage new and existing cultural and programmatic partnerships
- Grant reporting and presenting information to stakeholders.
- Leading AAANY’s campaigns which include civic engagement, police accountability, and immigrant rights
- Conducting outreach activities in the community and facilitate trainings and workshops for membership
- Mobilize youth and community members around advocacy actions such as voter registration, direct actions, advocacy campaigns, etc.
- Effectively supervise two Youth Organizers to support their growth and high performance.
- Other tasks as assigned
- 2+ years in community organizing
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal legislative processes.
- Experience with rapid incident response organizing.
- Experience with varied organizing and advocacy models.
- Strong capacity as a writer, educator, communicator, and administrator
- Organized, flexible, and easily adapts to change
- Ability to work independently and as a team-player
- Comfort with public speaking and relationship development
- Familiar and comfortable with various web platforms and digital technologies
- Commitment to social justice and the empowerment of communities of color
- Bilingual English/Arabic/Urdu/Spanish preferred
Full-time employees also receive 15 days of paid vacation, six personal days, eight sick days. AAANY will be closed for 1 week for summer recess. In addition, The employee is expected to contribute 4% of their pre-tax income to their monthly premium and AAANY will cover the remainder of the individual premium. Any additional insured will be paid by the employee. Only employees who opt in to AAANY’s group policy are eligible for dental & vision coverage.
Job Type: Full-time
- On the road
- Multiple locations
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
- Innovative — innovative and risk-taking
- Aggressive — competitive and growth-oriented
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable — traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented — supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
- Monday to Friday
How to Apply
7111 5th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11209