32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the Northeast, with over 175,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
The Political Organizer is based in New York City, with extensive travel across the state, especially to the lower Hudson Valley and Long Island, and is responsible for member engagement and support of the Union’s state-wide legislative and political work.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting member engagement of the Union’s New York State legislative campaign activities, including scheduling lobby meetings with union members and new organizing workers. Other campaign activities include preparing members and logistics for lobby days, phone banking, rallies, and press events on a range of issues including workers’ rights; and economic, racial, immigrant, and climate justice.
- Working with the NYS Political Coordinator to plan and implement the Union’s Hudson Valley and Long Island membership political engagement program, including:
o Monitoring and organizing union members during local legislative and policy reform initiatives that affect workers’ rights, immigrants’ rights, responsible economic development, and more;
o Supporting the Union’s work and member involvement with local elected officials at the town, city, and county level;
o Engaging local labor and community allies on the Union’s work;
o Implementing the union member focused local electoral field activities, including planning get-out-the-vote (GOTV) events.
- Drafting materials as needed for various activities, including emails, flyers, one-pagers, and campaign plans;
- Drafting and updating training materials for members for various activities;
- Supporting efforts to mobilize, train, and educate union members and activists for legislative and electoral activity.
- One to three years of experience coordinating legislative, electoral, or community organizing campaigns;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Experience building relationships with various stakeholders;
- Basic understanding of NY political and legislative processes;
- Ability to plan and execute small to large-scale events with close attention to detail;
- Ability to draft, refine, and implement effective legislative and electoral campaign plans;
- Desire and willingness to work as part of a team and across departments within the Union;
- Ability and willingness to drive preferred;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Our benefits package includes employer-paid health and dental insurance for employees and their qualified dependents, and a retirement benefit.
How to Apply
Please email résumé and letter of interest to Human Resources – HR@seiu32bj.org , with subject “Political Organizer”
New York, NY