About La Colmena: La Colmena is a community based organization with the mission to empower the immigrant community through education, organizing and economic development. It was founded in 2014 by domestic workers, day laborers and community allies to establish a membership based organization that advocates and improves the lives of Staten Island’s low wage immigrant workforce.
Current Priorities: La Colmena continues to be a recognized force in the struggle for immigrant rights, workers rights and racial, social and economic justice. The stakes for immigrant communities are at their highest in the current climate, and we are seeking an Executive Director that will support the vision and deepen the mission of La Colmena. This position will bring civic and political leadership to La Colmena, build organizational infrastructure for the long term, and center organizing and programming by and for immigrant Staten Islanders.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for La Colmena’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission.The Executive Director will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and strategic direction.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize La Colmena’s staff, board members, committees, members, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain La Colmena’s staff
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and members
Fundraising & Communications:
- Raise funds to grow the organization’s impact and profile
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger image.
- Review and implement La Colmena’s Fundraising and sustainability plan
Planning & New Programs:
- Lead the design and implementation of La Colmena’s Strategic Plan
- Begin to build partnerships in new areas, establishing relationships with funders, and political and community leaders
- Be an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes achieved
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to La Colmena’s mission. All candidates should have proven community empowerment, grassroots leadership, passion for workers and immigrant rights, relationship management experience, fundraising and government contract experience
Specific requirements include:
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish required
- Previous experience in a senior leadership role
How to Apply
Please send your resume and letter of interest in one PDF file to EDsearch@lacolmenanyc.org
Letter of interest should directly address the following questions:
- What experiences and skills will you bring to help La Colmena meet its goals and its overall mission?
- What excites you most about the work of La Colmena and why?
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; new parents; people with disabilities; and LGBTQIA people are especially encouraged to apply.