PEN America —a nonprofit organization that stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression in the United States and worldwide—seeks an energetic, engaging and highly organized Advocacy Coordinator for our DC office.
The Advocacy Coordinator reports to the Director of the Washington office of PEN America, and operates as part of the Freedom of Expression Programs Team (FEP). The coordinator will support the DC office in our work defending and promoting free expression and supporting writers at risk in the United States and around the world, both through research and advocacy on US free expression issues and advocacy on free expression and defense of writers and journalists globally. This is a full-time position.
The successful candidate will have a high level of energy, strong stamina and demonstrated ability to effectively multitask in a fast-paced environment. The position requires a passion for PEN America’s mission and work, and for safeguarding free expression. Candidates should be able to demonstrate initiative and ability to work independently, and should possess strong organizational and event-planning skills, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Managing and expanding database of key contacts in Washington DC (Congressional and Executive branch, media and NGO community;
- Drafting advocacy materials including press releases, social media postings, memos and briefing papers
- Providing support for planning and execution of events and visiting delegations
- Providing administrative support, including financial reconciliation, intern recruitment and management, and record-keeping
- Engaging with Congressional offices, the Executive branch, the media, and other non-profit organizations as appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience
- Strong interest in free expression issues, in the U.S. and internationally
- Excellent research and writing skills, including for rapid response to new developments (e.g., press releases, website updates)
- Experience managing social media accounts, digital communications technology, mailing lists and graphic design
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to email@example.com . One PDF is preferred. Please use “Advocacy Coordinator” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “Advocacy Coordinator – Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PEN America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
No phone calls, please.