Teamsters Local 2010 is pleased to announce the Communications Coordinator position to be filled as soon as possible.
We are seeking an experienced Communications Coordinator committed to advancing workers’ rights and social justice issues using the voice of the members through various platforms and mediums of communications. The ideal candidate will be versed in labor, social, and political issues, and will be an outstanding and versatile writer responsible for comprehensive digital campaigns that both deepen and broaden engagement with members and community support groups.
Teamsters Local 2010 represents 14,000 administrative support and skilled trades workers employed in higher education throughout the State of California ‐ ‐ this position offers a unique opportunity to tell their story. The position will report to the Secretary‐Treasurer and be based out of the headquarters location in Oakland, California.
- Develop and implement communications and campaign strategies essential to supporting the goals and objectives of the Local Union
- Maintain and broaden awareness of issues by increasing visibility of the work of the organization on a local and national level; plan and execute communications across all media platforms.
- Write press releases, social media content, articles, brochures, flyers, speeches, talking points,
and other organizational materials, as assigned.
- Develop materials such as leaflets, newsletters, brochures, email and direct mail pieces, video,
petitions, and op‐eds to drive union activities
- Execute earned and paid media efforts, including conceiving and holding events such as press
conferences and actions;
- Build and maintain relationships with media/reporters in traditional print, television, radio, and online media outlets; conduct outreach to promote organization activities
- Maintains organization website and social media accounts
- Serve as union spokesperson to the media and at various events
- Attend and cover critical meetings and events as directed by the Secretary‐Treasurer or designee.
- Three or more years managing communications campaigns, media relations, graphic design, and messaging on behalf of a local union, major division, or national or international campaign.
- Outstanding verbal communications, writing and editing skills, especially under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Proven track record of acquiring local and national media coverage and social media channel management
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Google‐Docs, Adobe, Salsa, Action Kit, or NationBuilder; Experience with Salesforce, Pardot, or MailChimp preferred
- Graduation from an accredited four‐year college or university with course work in journalism, communications, political science or related field. Experience in labor, political or community organizing and campaign or a combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Fast learner, ability to adapt to new technology, ability to seek out and recommend innovative ways to spread the unions reach;
- Willingness to work extended hours as needed to complete projects and support other union activities as requested;
- Willingness to travel providing communication coverage
Teamsters Local 2010 offers competitive salary commensurate with work experience. In addition, medical, dental, vision, and life insurance will be offered. An auto allowance will be provided.
The Communications Coordinator is considered ‘at will – exempt’ in that they are a member of senior staff and may supervise administrative staff and interns; have access to confidential information; input on operational decisions internal and external strategies; and exercise independent decision‐making authority.
The Application Process
Interested parties should submit an application packet including the following:
- a cover letter
- résumé covering your work history for the past 10 years
- Writing samples: email blast, press release, campaign leaflet & talking points
- Contact information for 3 professional references
To Melissa Munio at email@example.com. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
This position will remain open until filled.
Successful candidates must submit to a background screening, and not have a disqualifying conviction as described in the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA).