The Lead Organizer will develop and implement community organizing campaigns, implement base building strategies and outreach initiatives, represent AVP in city- and state-wide coalitions, and support in rapid incident response efforts. The Lead Organizer reports to the Senior Manager of Organizing and Advocacy, and works closely with staff in COPA, Client Services, Legal Services, Communications, and Development to ensure collaboration across departments. The Lead Organizer will guide the Community Organizer and Program Specialist to ensure COPA is on track with all outreach deliverables, on target with city- and state-wide campaigns, actively engaging community members into the work, and represent AVP in coalition spaces.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Manager of Organizing and Advocacy and Community Organizer to:
- develop, implement, and evaluate city- and state-wide organizing campaigns and legislative advocacy initiatives;
- develop, implement, and evaluate organizing strategies to respond to incidents of violence;
- develop, implement, and evaluate AVP’s semi-monthly base building plans to ensure the active engagement of marginalized LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities, including transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) people, LGBTQ people of color, LGBTQ immigrants, low-income people, and Spanish speakers;
- build and maintain partnerships with leading LGBTQ organizations and organizers across New York City and New York State.
- Work with the Community Organizer and Program Specialist to:
- create and maintain systems to increase the efficiency and impact of COPA’s programming;
- create volunteer leadership structures to further COPA’s organizing campaigns and legislative advocacy initiatives;
- manage and complete monthly outreach in all 5 boroughs;
- develop, implement, and evaluate membership retention strategies increase membership and participation of local programming and legislative advocacy initiatives;
- Develop and facilitate popular education trainings for community members in Spanish and/or English.
- Collaborate with COPA team members to develop and evaluate effective trainings.
Policy Advocacy & Coalition Engagement:
- Support the Senior Manager of Organizing and Advocacy with coordinating the New York State LGBTQ Intimate Partner Violence Network.
- Represent AVP as a spokesperson as needed (i.e. media requests, rallies, etc.).
- Represent AVP on city- and state-wide coalitions.
- Mobilize AVP community members for partner actions.
- Work in collaboration with partners to implement joint organizing and advocacy projects.
Other Duties as Directed by Supervisors
- 3 years community organizing experience including campaign development, base building, leadership development, and coalition coordination in a professional, volunteer, or activist capacity.
- 2 years of project management or project coordination experience including program design, implementation, and evaluation in a professional, volunteer, or activist capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple projects with competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to anti-oppression and social justice frameworks.
- Cultural sensitivity in working with diverse lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV-affected communities, and commitment to ending violence within those communities.
- Excellent computer skills, database experience, and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Highly organized with an ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to handle confidential materials.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Experience reporting on government and foundation activities.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal legislative processes.
- Experience with varied organizing and advocacy models.
- Experience with rapid incident response organizing.
Details at a glance
- On-site Location
- Full Time Schedule
Benefits: Excellent benefits and working environment.
How To Apply
Submit resume, cover letter including salary requirement, and a short writing sample (1-3 pages) to email@example.com with “Lead Organizer” in subject line. Candidates will be…
116 Nassau Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10038