NYSUT one of the largest public employee unions in the country – is seeking an experienced Press Secretary to lead the union’s media relations efforts. As Press Secretary, you will implement NYSUT’s media strategy, serve as our chief on-the-record spokesperson, cultivate and manage relationships with the members of the media, ensure effective rapid response and crisis communications management, draft op-eds and talking points for our officers, help advance our message on social media, and help train local unions and leaders to identify positive stories and interact with news outlets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements a strategic messaging and media strategies designed to advance NYSUT’s policies and priorities. Pitches stories to media outlets.
- Takes incoming inquiries from reporters and works with policy experts, our officers and other key stakeholders to coordinate response.
- Prepares talking points for officers, activists and other leaders involved in our earned media efforts.
- Drafts, revises and edits press releases, statements, op-eds, briefings and earned media plans.
- Distributes statements and materials to media, actively pitching, booking NYSUT officers and leaders.
- Helps maintain NYSUT’s press lists and relationships with reporters.
- Staff’s NYSUT officers and other leaders during earned media events.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Experience pitching media and strong relationships with producers and reporters strongly preferred. Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Experience with social media and integrated digital communications.
- Statewide Travel is required.
Position is located in Latham, New York
Please send resume and cover letter to NYSUT: firstname.lastname@example.org by December 12, 2018
New York State United Teachers is affiliated with the American Federation of Teachers, NEA, AFL-CIO, Representing teachers and other professionals, school related professionals, higher education professionals, health care professionals and retirees.