Hester Street is seeking a Development and Communications Manager to support the organization’s fundraising, storytelling and business development efforts. This is an exciting opportunity for an early-career professional with at least three years of experience in grant writing and/or communications.
ABOUT HESTER STREET
Hester Street is an urban planning, design and development nonprofit working to ensure that neighborhoods are shaped by the people who live in them. We offer technical and capacity building assistance to community-based organizations, private firms and government agencies on land use processes, neighborhood planning and design, and public and private community development projects throughout NYC and beyond. We strive for more vibrant, resilient, equitable and just neighborhoods and cities.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a full-time Development and Communications Manager to support Hester Street’s efforts to fund and tell the story of our work. The position is ideal for someone who brings excellent writing, critical thought, problem solving and the mechanics of fundraising and communications to the fight for social justice.
The Manager will support our fundraising efforts among public, private and individual donors as well as develop communications tools and strategies across multiple platforms. The role requires the ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines and contributors. Experience in the fields of urban planning, architecture, community organizing and/or community development is preferred, though not required. The Manager will work directly with the Deputy Director of Development and Communications and collaborate with the Design Manager and project staff.
Job responsibilities include the following:
- Write and edit for multiple formats: grant proposals and reports, funder emails, website, social media, Hester Street publications and more;
- Manage proposal and report deadlines; coordinate assembly and submissions;
- Work with project staff to develop proposals, reports and communications tools;
- Lead new donor research and support donor cultivation;
- Support production of fundraising and friendraising events;
- Contribute to Hester Street messaging strategy;
- Help tell the story of our projects and programs from their details to systems change;
- Manage and support growth of Hester Street contact list;
- Monitor media coverage of Hester Street and related projects;
- Manage website posts;
- Support and publicize staff speaking engagements;
- Imagine and implement new development and communications strategies, and other duties as assigned.
We are seeking an excellent writer who works well collaboratively and in a fast-paced environment. Applicants must be highly organized and detail oriented. Experience working with low-income communities, immigrant and other communities of color and/or community- based organizations is preferred. Top candidates will have:
- Experience writing in multiple formats and tailoring communications to multiple audiences:
- At least three years of experience writing in various development and communications formats, such as grant proposals, presentations, marketing materials, eblasts, website, social media and others.
- Ability to write for multiple audiences, including current and prospective donors, foundations, government, community-based organizations, private firms and the community planning and development fields.
- Experience managing the mechanics of fundraising and communications through deadlines and donor cycles:
- Experience tracking progress toward development and communications goals. o Excellent organization skills and proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience with Salesforce, MailChimp, WordPress and Adobe InDesign, as well as fluency in a language other than English, are big pluses, though not required.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, Hester Street offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please send cover letter, résumé and one writing sample to email@example.com, with “Development and Communications Manager” in the subject line.
We encourage candidates to submit materials by September 12, 2018. The position will be open until filled.
Hester Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a workforce that reflects the populations with whom we partner. We seek to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, ability or veteran status.