ImPACCt Brooklyn is a not-for-profit, membership-based community development corporation entering its fifth decade. We combine tenant and community organizing,tenant and homeowner services, affordable housing development and management, and economic development to improve the Central Brooklyn communities.
The Section 8 Community Organizer works with our team on housing and tenant rights campaigns with a particular focus on organizing tenants in distressed and overleveraged HUD Project Based Section 8 buildings and other buildings as necessary, developing leaders to work on the preservation of Section 8 Housing. Other tasks include one on one tenant counseling, leadership development and base-building, as well as maintaining a property database. The organizer will work within existing coalitions and with the ImPACCt Brooklyn Leadership Group. The Community Organizer will report to the Director of Organizing.
- Organize tenant associations to advocate for, preserve and protect tenants in HUD Project-based Section 8 buildings which are facing foreclosure or expiring HAP contracts
- Work with a network of residents and active tenant associations to preserve affordable housing
- Collaborate with other local and city-wide organizations to advocate for solutions to the loss of affordable housing
- Create written materials and flyers for the organizing departments
- Maintain a database of Section 8 buildings in our service area
- Prepare written reports as required
- Oversee volunteers
- Minimum of 2 years organizing experience, experience with media campaigns a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer literate
- Ability to relate to and motivate people from diverse backgrounds
- Commitment to social change and community empowerment
- Willingness to work evenings and some weekend hours
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- Spanish strongly preferred
- Familiarity with Brooklyn and/or housing issues preferred
- Willingness to work evenings and some weekends
How to apply
Interested candidates should email a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. ONLY THOSE OFFERED INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONTACTED.