Advance the green building movement nationwide through education. Urban Green Council, the New York Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council, a nonprofit organization working to advance sustainability in the urban built environment, has an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual who is interested in getting involved with the growing green building movement. Urban Green is NYC’s go-to organization for green building education and advocacy, twice managing blue ribbon building code commissions on behalf of the city, most recently following Superstorm Sandy. The organization has averaged over 30% annual growth in staff size and budget for the last seven years, allowing for deeper impacts and broader reach. The Associate will be a critical addition to the team in continuing this growth.
GPRO is Urban Green’s flagship education program, teaching construction workers and building operators what they need to know about green building to ensure building performance matches design. With consistently high ratings and 6,580 people trained in an industry of hundreds of thousands, the program is poised for enormous expansion. The Associate will support the development of new education programs and facilitate maintenance and improvement of existing programs. Urban Green courses reach all sectors of the building industry: building owners, real estate companies, construction trade unions, USGBC chapters, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and trade associations. Please visit gpro.org for more details.
In addition to the existing GPRO modules (www.gpro.org), Education Development at UGC is currently developing the following programs: Conquering the Energy Code is a series of courses that teach Architects and Engineers the basics of sustainable design and strategies to comply with ever more stringent energy codes. These courses will find engaging ways to motivate participants to incorporate sustainability into their design process.
GPRO Homes is a certificate level course that will provide tools and resources to residential construction contractors to help them adapt to the increasing regulatory and market pressures for higher efficiency and better performing buildings.
About the Position
The ideal candidate will have proven project management skills and experience editing technical materials. Given the need for high-quality course materials, the Associate must have strong attention to detail, and familiarity with all forms of education delivery: traditional lecture, textbook/manuals, presentations, and web-platform. The position offers many opportunities for exposure to all aspects of the building industry through the interaction with partners and contributors, and will require the applicant to have excellent interpersonal and written communication skills. The candidate will be a self-starter with the ability to think through problems and identify forward-thinking solutions. This position reports to the Education Development Coordinator.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Research technical content for manuals and presentations including science, technologies, and policies behind green building and energy systems
- Review and edit drafts of all course materials to ensure highest quality content
- Manage process of updating and maintaining relevancy of course material
- Adapt materials to make courses relevant to audiences in different geographic regions
- Edit and format manuals in Adobe InDesign and presentations in PowerPoint
- Create and/or revise illustrations using Adobe Illustrator
- Review, compile, organize, and edit all submissions from Industry Advisory Committees
GPRO Team Collaboration:
- Coordinate with Outreach & Delivery Associate to ensure updated materials are available for instructors and proctors on GPRO website
- Manage job postings, interviewing, and personnel evaluations for Education Development
- Coordinate materials for Instructor Training Sessions
- BA or BS degree obtained with a major or focus in environmental studies or related field
- Strong interest in and understanding of green building and environmental issues
- Proactive and strong work ethic
- Detail oriented, ability to handle multiple tasks and to work independently
- Exceptional writing skills, a writing sample is required
- Knowledge of and competence with MS Office applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of and competence with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- High level of attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Good visual sense regarding layout and design
- Experience in architectural design, construction and/or engineering
Commensurate with experience.
January 1, 2016
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter including salary requirements (single PDF titled EducationAssociate_[NAME]) with “Education Development Associate / your name” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.