Mission: The New York City Employment and Training Coalition (NYCETC) is the city’s association for the workforce development community. Founded in 1997 as the membership organization for New York City workforce providers, NYCETC has played a vital role in the workforce community by advancing policy priorities and convening the sector to build capacity by sharing information and best practices. Currently, we support over 170 workforce providers, colleges and universities, and labor unions that provide job training and employment services to nearly 600,000 New Yorkers.
- Access and Equity: Ensure that every New Yorker gains the skills needed to earn a meaningful income.
- Market-Driven Talent Development: Build strong ties with the business community to invest in employment pathways that grow a diverse & expanded workforce in the innovation economy.
About The Position
- Position Location: New York, NY
- Due to COVID-19 and travel restrictions, the position may indefinitely be conducted remotely.
- The position is paid and full-time (40 hours per week) under the supervision of the Vice President.
Duties may include the following:
– Lead on NYCETC’s campaigns and special initiatives related policy work through specific projects and broader partner engagement and advocacy. This will include:
- Driving our NYC Inclusive Growth Project, a partnership with the Association for Neighborhood Housing (ANHD) and the Regional Plan Association (RPA), that will address this work and economic inequities by offering a new vision for how economic policy decisions are made and the methods through which economic development and economic opportunity are delivered. This agenda will chart a course for how our communities can fully benefit from economic growth, and how an interconnected system of workforce and economic development, and housing and neighborhood affordability, informed by priorities related to racial and social justice, education, infrastructure and transportation, poverty, gender, immigration services, climate and sustainability, and disabilities and accessabilities, can support all New Yorkers;
- Leading on NYCETC’s responsibilities on the Invest in Skills NYC, a partnership with the New York Association of Training and Employment Professionals (NYATEP) and JobsFirstNYC (JFNYC) to align workforce and advocate on behalf of workforce development policies and investments in New York City; and
- Supporting advocacy efforts on our Recovery For All NYC plan to cement an equitable and inclusive economic recovery framework that centers impacted and historically marginalized communities, small businesses, workforce development, and public works initiatives
– Assess political dynamics and trends around New York City, at the local, state and federal level related to workforce development, economic development, jobs, economic justice etc.
– Assist in the formation of NYCETC policy and advocacy positions and strategies, in consultation with the VP for Policy and Special Initiatives
– Acts as a public voice on our advocacy agenda, through, but not limited to:
- Meetings with New York City elected officials
- Meeting with New York City agency officials
- Speaking with local media, in coordination with our public relations consultant
- Writing and pitching opinion content for media, in coordination with our public relations consultant
- Testifying at New York City Council hearings
- Speaking at public rallies in support of our agenda or allied campaigns
- Coordinating with other local advocates on shared agenda items
- Collaborating with researchers at think tanks and city offices to develop data & reports that support our agenda
– Support the development of a diverse, informed and engaged community of stakeholders (including but not limited to service providers, clients, students, employers, and activists) as advocates for a strong and equitable workforce and economic development system
– Other duties as assigned.
- Must be energized by working with people
- Skilled at building community and support to drive policy and advocacy goals forward
- Willingness to address issues directly and respectfully with individual members for the greater good of the membership community
- Able to work independently and coordinate effectively with a small but agile team
- Ability to devise projects, delegate responsibilities and see projects through to completion
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once in a busy and fast-paced work environment
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Skilled at managing multiple people and priorities
- Clear, positive, and professional communicator
- Entrepreneurial attitude. No problem is too big or too small to tackle.
- Collaborative attitude with a desire to work within a small and agile team to build a strong organization and supportive ecosystem for changemakers.
- Innovative in developing solutions, willingness to take on tasks outside of job description
- Knowledge of the workforce ecosystem and social innovation sector in New York is preferred, but not necessary
- Experience in community organizing and policy development is a plus, but not required
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Group facilitation skills preferred but not required
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Applicants are required to have 3-5 years of professional work experience.
- Languages: Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Spanish is desirable.