SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
JOB TITLE: Senior Political Program Manager (Member Programs)
SALARY: MGT E; Annual salary starts at $107,543
The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, and that makes the Union all the more powerful because there’s strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the healthcare spectrum providing high quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation’s airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where they come from or what color they are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
PURPOSE: The Senior Political Program Manager assists the International Union in strengthening its National member political engagement program and works closely with SEIU national, area, state and local leadership to build lasting, sustainable infrastructure and capacity for member political programs. The Senior Political Program Manager will help design and implement:
- The national member political engagement program, which includes candidate pipeline, national leadership academy, member communication and education support and support for locals with their member political engagement to support the work of the political department
- Ongoing political education, skills development and training programs for local union political staff and members.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and- responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Assist Local Unions with developing member programs focused on education, mobilization and leadership development;
- Build and coordinate National Member political engagement workshops, toolkits and other national programs;
- Enhance the political infrastructure of SEIU through partnering with Area Political Directors to include member leadership development as a core component of State Council plans; political and legislative programs, and through developing grassroots training and education programs for members and local union staff.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff assigned to member political programs in the Region when called upon to do so by State Councils or Local Unions.
- Track and report national member political activism, development and mobilization
CONTACTS: SEIU International Union staff, Local Union and affiliate leadership, State Councils, and other organizations and individuals as required.
DIRECTION & DECISION-MAKING: This position reports to the Assistant Political Director of Member Political Programs and the incumbent works largely independently.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: The Senior Political Program Manager position requires a high level of proven leadership and judgment and must demonstrate knowledge of grassroots political organizing. At least five years of direct experience with electoral campaigns, legislative campaigns, or union organizing, and a background that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Developing and implementing comprehensive political plans.
- Working independently with elected SEIU leaders and staff at various levels of the organization in complex political situations.
- Possessing thorough knowledge of political campaign strategies, planning and execution.
- Working with voter files, Voter Activation Networks (VANs) and voter targeting.
- Possessing effective oral and written communications.
- Developing strong working relationships and the ability to work on a team.
- Managing and assessing multiple high-priority programs and priorities in different
- Managing a program budget and implementing strategic plans.
- Managing and developing electoral and grassroots campaign plans, logistics and
- Meeting deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Working with leaders, staff, and partners and operating with a high level of judgment
- and discretion.
Must have the ability to work in an office (or similar) setting with or without reasonable accommodation. Travel in addition to long and extended work hours are required.
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for either a) a certain medical condition(s); b) on the basis of sincerely held strong religious beliefs and practices or c) as otherwise required by law.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.