For more opportunities click here.
Full-Time Teaching Assistant Position
The CEYE is one of the longest sustaining and well-developed pipeline programs in the nation. The Center of Excellence in Youth Education (CEYE), a unit within the Mount Sinai Health System’s Office for Diversity and Inclusion, has worked for over four decades to expose young minds from educationally and economically disadvantaged backgrounds to science and medicine through its robust education pipeline program portfolio. These program experiences take place in the real-time learning environment of the Icahn School of Medicine Laboratories and Mount Sinai Hospital. The Center for Excellence in Youth Education (CEYE) works with a cross section of public schools, colleges, and other youth organizations throughout NYC to implement academic year and summer courses and internships that prepare underrepresented students for STEM careers. These experiences bolster student preparation and performance in science, language arts, mathematics and technology in a context where they can explore a wide spectrum of careers in medicine, research, nursing, and allied health, as well as extend their reach to college and these career fields. Please learn more at: www.icahn.mssm.edu/ceye
Teaching Assistant Position:
This is a perfect position for someone taking a gap year, aspiring to apply to medical or graduate school, and/or enjoys working with STEM students in grades 6ththrough 12th. The role will initially be virtual, with immediate increasing in-person expectations as the post-COVID plans phase in.
Start Date: January 2021
Minimum 1-year commitment
Fixed Stipend Rate: $15.00/Hour
Must be a NYC resident
•Assist with design, execution and teaching of Biology course with components related to Data Science, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (CBB) for students in grades 6 through 12
•Assist with developing STEM –based curriculum for middle and high school programs
•Teach complex scientific information in a clear and understandable, age-appropriate format for students
•Support CEYE bioinformatics faculty and facilitate course needs
•Support students during laboratory experiments and their development of research techniques
•Assist with college preparation for students (ex: essay writing and college application review)
•Hold one-on-one and group sessions with students to support research projects, including proper research presentation etiquette and writing an academic scientific research paper
•Disseminate, collect, and tabulate data from program evaluations, from students and faculty mentors, using measures of central tendency and reporting data visually in Excel
•Communicate with Medical Education staff to coordinate logistics for CEYE programs and events
•Assist in CEYE research, database input, filing, and other administrative activities as needed
•Bachelors in Science (Biology, Biochemistry, Data Science etc.)
•Desire to work with disadvantaged youth from middle to high school level;
•Must have a strong interest or experience in bioinformatics and/or coding
•Considerable programming experience in R, Python, Java or similar are strongly recommended
•Excellent oral and written communication skills
•Prior experience working with youth (tutoring, teaching, camp counseling, etc.)
•Experience working in a research lab
•Comfort with youth engagement via online platforms
For more information, interested candidates can contact Ms. Kenya Townsend(Program Director) at Kenya.Townsend@mssm.eduor (212) 241-7655. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to the email address above.
Senior Research Analyst – Tech, Action Center on Race and the Economy
The Action Center on Race and the Economy (ACRE) drives campaigns that seek to win structural change by directly taking on the corporate elite responsible for pillaging communities of color and working-class communities, and harming our environment. Through partnerships with organizations involved in local racial, economic, environmental and educational justice campaigns, we provide strategic campaign coordination and campaign infrastructure with an explicit racial justice analysis.
The Senior Research Analyst will report to the Deputy Director of Research and will work closely with ACRE staff and with partner organizations, with an initial focus on Big Tech and platform workers.
- Conduct research that supports the campaign goals and policy solutions that ACRE is pursuing in our tech visioning work
- Work with local and national partners to develop campaign strategy
- Work with local and national partners on research and the development of materials to support local campaigns
- Help train and lead more junior researchers
- Help design and deliver trainings
- Manage meetings and events, including event preparation, set-up and post-event debriefs
- Coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Contribute creatively to a forward-thinking team
- Speak on behalf of ACRE at public meetings, to press, and to elected officials, when asked
- A strong commitment to progressive social change and racial justice, a familiarity with the issues that are central to ACRE’s work and a passion for ACRE’s vision and mission
- At least five years of experience doing corporate campaign research for unions or grassroots community organizations
- Experience working on campaigns related to Big Tech and the platform economy a plus but not required
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills
- Proficiency in Internet-based research, word processing, spreadsheet programs and database design and management
- Familiarity with financial issues a plus but not required
- Ability to read, understand, analyze and explain complex financial documents
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to think creatively and innovatively.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with organizers
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments
- Demonstrated commitment to community and/or labor organizing and experience working with women and communities of color for social change
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, with light supervision
- A keen sense of detail and organization, including the ability to comb through dense documents and identify what is useful and relevant
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours and travel as needed
- A good sense of humor
Salary scale range $66k – $87k. LGBTQ, women, and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. Compensation is commensurate with experience. The position includes excellent benefits. Location is flexible but Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Antonio, Detroit, Oakland, or San Francisco is preferred.
To apply please submit your application here.
If you have any trouble with the form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Research Analyst- Tech” in the subject line.
The CUNY 311 Project provides qualified CUNY students with the opportunity to work as part-time Call Center Representatives (Call Takers) within New York City’s Information Hub. Call Takers will work within the 311 Call Center to perform the following tasks:
- Answer incoming calls within the 24-hour/7-day/week operation in a professional and courteous manner.
- Maintain customer satisfaction.
- Enter call data into a computerized tracking system.
- Collaborate with DoITT and CUNY Program staff as needed.
- Currently a student in good standing at a City University of New York college.
- Be available 18 hours per week for three 6 hour shifts, including weekends/weeknights.
- Have strong computer skills and be proficient with Internet.
- Have excellent telephone etiquette and communication skills.
- Create profile on Symplicty using the following link CUNY.edu/cipportal.
- In Simplicity click “Jobs” tab > click “Jobs and Internships”, search for 311 Student Caller Taker Job listing and Apply. (Please note you will be asked to upload resume, cover letter, and to provide an unofficial copy of your transcript).
LEARN MORE AT OUR INFO SESSIONS
THURS. 11/12 | 3 pm – 5 pm
WED. 11/18 | 10 am – 12 pm
Info Session Registration: CLICK HERE
MUST register to attend
NJ TRANSIT SUMMER 2021 INTERNSHIP PROGRAM – INFORMATION SESSION
Learn about the many paid internship opportunities and the application process with the NJ Transit.
NJ TRANSIT SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
Come join us this summer for an exciting 10-week paid internship in one of our many offices.
Partial listing of areas of study:
• Design/Digital Media
• Intelligence Analyst
• Human Resources
- Information Technology
- And Many More
NJ TRANSIT pays interns from:$12-$22 per hour based on the intern’s collegiate year.
Possible Locations (or may be remote): Newark NJ, Maplewood NJ, Orange NJ, Kearny NJ.
Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university.
Date: Nov 9
Register in advance for this meeting: https://tinyurl.com/InfoSession-Nov9
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.