CUNY SPS provides online and on campus degree and certificate programs that meet the needs of adults who are looking for a seamless way to finish or transition into a bachelor’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, advance in the workplace, or change careers.
Home to the first fully online degree programs at the City University of New York, CUNY SPS offers fully accredited online degree and certificate programs for students who want the flexibility and convenience of online education.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions for the purpose of serving the educational, policy, and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs in labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; 3) partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members; and 4) serve the labor and broader community by conducting researching, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, and publishing articles, books, and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor’s future and its policy role.
The Workforce Development Program at The Murphy Institute provides academic and administrative support to union workers, working adults, and nontraditional students who are seeking to earn a degree or certificate from a college within CUNY; enhance their skills; and improve career opportunities. The Program is searching for a Program Specialist to assist in overall program administration, including communications, outreach, recruitment, coordination of support services, and liaison with program partners.
The Worker Education Program Specialist reports to the Associate Director of Workforce Development.
In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
– Assist in developing and implementing training programs and support services
– Coordinate student support services, such as tutoring, student success workshops, and various basic-skills mini-courses.
– Assist in developing and implementing outreach activities and program recruitment
– Supervise and coordinate off-campus information and educational/career advising sessions
– Coordinate data collection and assist with the creation of institutional reports for internal and external distribution
– Act as a liaison between the Workforce Development program, other units of CUNY, and external program partners
– Work with the Workforce Development team to develop and maintain a communication strategy, using print and technology resources, including social media such as Facebook and Twitter
– Oversee various administrative functions on behalf of the Program Manager
Selected candidate will need to work a flexible schedule with some evenings and weekends and to travel to the five boroughs in New York City.
Bachelor’s Degree and four years’ relevant experience required.
– Master’s degree in higher education, or other related field
– Experience in higher education and/or adult education and workforce development
– Detail oriented, with strong organizational skills, demonstrated ability in strategic planning, ability to manage multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
– Knowledge of college admission practices and enrollment services preferred
– Knowledge of CUNY programs and degree requirements
– Experience with successful implementation of programs for a diverse student population and successful college-wide collaborations
– Demonstrated proficiency in various software programs, including Excel
– Ability to work a flexible schedule with some evenings and weekends and to travel to the five boroughs in New York City
– Responsiveness and professionalism in collaboration with diverse internal and external stakeholders
– Strong written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to make presentations and lead small-group discussions
Participates in the daily coordination of academic and administrative activities of a College’s specialized academic program under management direction.
– Supports program development, student service delivery, outcome evaluation and instructor/student recruitment, enrollment, and retention.
– Recommends, implements and evaluates strategies to expand program offerings
– Prepares analytical and statistical reports for management
– Develops and maintains relationships with various College offices to improve student and faculty services
– Serves as resource expert regarding program policies and procedures
– Oversees office recordkeeping; manages updates of program web and print materials
– May supervise office operations and/or department budget
– Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Program Specialist
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select “Apply Now” and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter and three professional references (name, title,
organization, and contact information).